Town hall and former market hall in Clermont-sur-Berwinne
On a small plot of land, the former town hall spans the public space and asserts the precedence of civil power - Listed monument.
Opposite the church, the 1888 town hall meets an insurmountable challenge: to assert the presence, and even the precedence, of civil power on a modest plot of land, with limited means.
Set on a porch, the town hall overhangs the public space and asserts itself in the perspective of the Place de la Halle.
The small size of the premises is the price of this staging: the exterior staircase continues inside and gives access to the council chamber which extends over the entire width of the building. The architectural elements (double-railed staircase, pedimented forecourt, corner turret) and materials (wrought iron, large cut stones, elaborate cornices) complete this building with its unusual position.
For more information, see our heritage sheet.
Pl. de la Halle, 22 – 4890 Thimister-Clermont
MAISON DU TOURISME DU PAYS DE HERVE
Place de la Gare, 1 – 4650 Herve
+32(0)87/69 31 70
POINT INFO-TOURISME DE CLERMONT-SUR-BERWINNE
(Uniquement durant les vacances de Pâques et les grandes vacances / Alleen Paas- en zomervakantie)
Place de la Halle – 4890 Clermont-sur-Berwinne
+32(0)87/44 68 76
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information