The vicinal tram of Nobressart
From 1885 onwards, the "chemins de fer vicinaux" were used to boost economic activity throughout the country.
From 1885, the Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Vicinaux was given the task of establishing railway lines in regions not yet served.
Called “chemins de fer vicinaux”, these secondary lines aimed to provide a public transport service to the populations of rural areas and to boost the country’s economic activity by transporting goods and agricultural products.
A large public transport network was to develop rapidly, reaching more than 4,500 km of track at its peak, including more than 400 km in the province of Luxembourg.
The “Arlon-Nobressart” section of the local railway was inaugurated in 1910, followed the next year by the “Martelange-Nobressart” section. The line was abandoned in 1952 in favour of buses and cars.
For more information, see our heritage sheet.
MAISON DU TOURISME DU PAYS D’ARLON
Rue des Faubourgs, 2 – 6700 Arlon
+32(0)63/21 94 54
PARC NATUREL DE LA VALLÉE DE L’ATTERT ET SYNDICAT D’INITIATIVE DU VAL D’ATTERT
Voie de la Liberté, 107 – 6717 Attert
+32(0)63/22 78 55
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information