Jospein Farm - Montignies-sur-Roc
Dating back to 1686, the Jospein farmhouse is built around a farmyard with its dwellings, outbuildings and other traditional volumes.
In the street that links the square on one side and the church and castle on the other, the former Jospein farmhouse has a remarkable entrance building. Composed of a two-storey building, the volume is pierced by a central portal. Behind it is the farmyard, surrounded by a dwelling and the various outbuildings.
The hipped roof is covered with slate and has two dormer windows framing the carriage entrance. An exceptional material in this silty region, slate was the privilege of remarkable buildings. By distinguishing itself from local materials, it underlines the status of the building in the life of the village, a status that can also be seen in the care taken with the architectural details: a brick façade with a sandstone base, elegantly punctuated with high windows of the Tournaisian type, characterised by frames alternating between stone and brick; bands of limestone streaking the masonry and contributing to the decorative effect, as does the “1686” date at the top of the gate.
For more information, see our heritage sheet.
Rue de l’église, 5-7 – 7387 Montignies-sur-Roc
ROYAL SYNDICAT D’INITIATIVE DU HAUT-PAYS
Place Fulgence Masson 7 – 7387 Montignies-sur-Roc
+32(0)65/63 17 37
MAISON DU PARC NATUREL DES HAUTS-PAYS
Rue des Jonquilles 24 – 7387 Honnelles
+32(0)65/46 09 38
MAISON DU TOURISME DE LA RÉGION DE MONS
Grand Place, 27 – 7000 Mons
+32(0)65/33 55 80
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information