of Urbanism
Logo Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie
See the map
Logo Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie

The must-sees

  • Saint-Remy-Geest square and its lime tree: a slightly sloping square on a flat area at the bottom of the slope with a lime tree
  • Cense Bivort and its garden (18th century): U-shaped farmhouse below the church
  • Saint-Remy church (18th century): standing proudly on its promontory, a building dating from 1768 and built entirely of Gobertange stone in a typical 18th century classical style
  • Enclosed farm: former quadrilateral dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries, reworked in the 19th and 20th centuries, grouping, around a large square courtyard punctuated by a porch, several volumes of Gobertange rubble and regional bricks
  • Genville mill: in a listed site, a former common water mill, long owned by the Lords of Mélin, successively transformed into an oil mill and a flour mill in 1843
  • Porch-dovecote (18th century): marking the entrance to an 18th century farmhouse in Rue de la Vanne
  • L-shaped farm (19th century): former farmhouse in open order, built of Gobertange rubble in the 19th century on an 18th century core
  • Old half-timbered barn: the barn, the last half-timbered barn in the village, is of great heritage interest and has recently been renovated as a dwelling. It is part of a late 18th-early 19th century farm
  • Old presbytery (18th century): high, walled volume, made of regional bricks, in contrast with the village buildings, mostly made of Gobertange stone

The sun is setting on the hillside where the village of Saint-Remy-Geest has settled at the very top, to the very south. At that moment, the glowing light catches every wall and sets the white-clad houses on fire. Time stands still. The church of Saint-Remy is the last to benefit from the rays. Built entirely of Gobertange stone, like most of the buildings in the village, the edifice stands proudly on this slope overlooking the valley. Rebuilt in 1768 in a classical style typical of the 18th century, it has clean lines, a very high bell tower and its sobriety is visible both inside and out. The village was organised around this dominant church.

Most of the houses and farms have retained their 18th and 19th century layout. There are many interesting properties such as a “Porch-dovecote” marking the entrance to an 18th century farm in the Rue de la Vanne, an old half-timbered barn, old L-shaped or three-celled farms, or “La Cense Bivort” and its garden. This 18th century U-shaped farmhouse is set below the church and its dwelling is topped with a coyote roof.

All the buildings are arranged along two parallel streets. A third transverse road links these two streets and leads to the bottom of the valley where one finds marshy meadows, copses of trees and old orchards. Bordered by willows, tall trees and sunken paths descending into the valley, this green setting envelops the village and constitutes a natural heritage of interest and ends up bewitching its visitors!

Nearby, it is at the Moulin de Genville, a hamlet of Saint-Remy-Geest, that nature invites you to visit! The mill itself, its garden and the adjoining meadows are protected areas. In the summer, a summer café welcomes you to enjoy the peace and quiet of the place.

Maison du Tourisme du Brabant wallon

Hôtel des Libertés –  Grand-Place, 1

1370 Jodoigne

+32 (0) 10/ 56 09 70

Discover the Beautiful Villages nearby

Extend your visit to Wallonia on VISITWALLONIA.BE

Visit Wallonia

Restaurants inSaint-Remy-Geest

The activities inSaint-Remy-Geest

The shop of the most beautiful villages

Subscribe to our newsletter

The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.

More information