Saint Martin Church in Chassepierre
Where the waters of the Semois meet the foot of the village, the church of Saint-Martin imposes its silhouette on the landscape
Occupying a privileged position, where the waters of the Semois meet the foot of the village, the church of Saint-Martin in Chassepierre dates back to 1097, or even to the year 1000.
Its tower, dated 1702 and adorned, during the French Revolution, with the coat of arms of an Austrian family, does not contain the bells, which are located further down.
With its characteristic bulbous roof, it animates the village and stands out in the natural landscape. Inappropriately placed, the clock testifies to the multiple roles of the building, which is at times a place of spiritual life and at times a landmark in time and space.
While the village presents its golden stones, the whitewash on the façades recalls the practices that were once widespread to protect porous stonework.
From the south-west, the gaze plunges towards the tight alignment of buildings, the real backbone of the village, and the white glints of the Saint-Martin church which peacefully reflects its silhouette in the waters of the Semois below.
For more information, see our heritage page.
Rue de la Cure – 6824 Chassepierre
MAISON DU TOURISME DE GAUME
Rue des Grasses-Oies, 2B – 6760 Virton
+32(0)63/57 89 04
SYNDICAT D’INITIATIVE DE FLORENVILLE SUR SEMOIS
Esplanade du Panorama, 1 – 6820 Florenville
+32 (0)61 31 12 29
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 31 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.