Andrimont Castle and the 'Lower Gate' of Limbourg
From medieval fortifications to pleasure residence, it was burnt down by the German army. The entrance pavilions remind us of the vanished castle.
From medieval times, the site, 80 metres above the valley, has had important defensive qualities. These were reinforced by the creation of a castle guarding the northern entrance to Limburg: the “Porte d’en bas”. The development of artillery gradually reduced the benefits of this position and, after numerous sieges, the fortifications were decommissioned in 1781.
It was during the industrial revolution that the castle was revived. This time, it was a vast pleasure residence built for Julien d’Andrimont, a coal mining director, Belgian politician and Walloon activist.
Burnt down by the German army, the dwelling has now been torn down. However, the style and preservation of the large entrance pavilions and the 19th century belvedere are a light-hearted reminder of the lost castle.
For more information, see our heritage page.
Sur les remparts, 2 – 4830 Limbourg
MAISON DU TOURISME DU PAYS DE VESDRE
Rue Xhavée, 61 – 4800 Verviers
ROYAL SYNDICAT D’INITIATIVE DE LIMBOURG
Place Saint-Georges – 4830 Limbourg
+32(0)87/76 04 16
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information