Association
MBVW
House
of Urbanism
Logo Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie
See the map
Logo Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie

D

Situated on a rocky spur overlooking a meander of the Vesdre, the church of Saint-Georges stands out with its choir leaning against the rocks twenty metres below and its crypt extending beyond the surrounding wall of the former fortified town.

Although its volume has been preserved, the church has suffered as much damage as the rest of the town. It is therefore a precious witness to several eras. Situated on the site of the castle chapel, it is the only building in the town to have preserved its tower from 1301. In 1460, Limbourg became a parish. Major work was then required to accommodate the faithful and a chapter of canons in the choir.

Restorations at the end of the 19th and 20th centuries enabled the church to be preserved while changing its general appearance. The tower was completely covered with limestone facing in 1874. The entrance, on the west façade, depicts Saint George on horseback slaying the dragon.

For more information, see our heritage page.

Practical information

ÉGLISE SAINT-GEORGES

Place Saint-Georges – 4830 Limbourg

MAISON DU TOURISME DU PAYS DE VESDRE 

Rue Jules Cerexhe, 86 – 4800 Verviers 

+32(0)87/30 79 26

www.paysdevesdre.be 

ROYAL SYNDICAT D’INITIATIVE DE LIMBOURG

Place Saint-Georges – 4830 Limbourg

+32(0)87/76 04 16

www.limbourg-tourisme.com 

Subscribe to our newsletter

The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 31 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.