Saint-Géry Church in Aubechies
A beautiful unfinished Romanesque church, the former abbey church of a short-lived monastery.
Dating from the 11th century, this Romanesque church was built on a former Gallo-Roman site. A hexagonal basin from this period remains in the crypt.
It was Gregory II, bishop of Cambrai, who had Saint-Gery built. From the outset, everything was planned to enlarge the church because it was to serve as an abbey church for the Benedictine monastery founded in Aubechies in 1077. However, history had other plans: seigniorial conquests and illnesses caused the monks to leave, and there were too few of them to build a large abbey. The monastery therefore had a rather short life: from 1119, it was attached to the abbey of Saint Ghislain. The church of Saint-Géry remained unfinished: it lacked a transept.
On the cemetery side, a stone on the façade bears the date of its restoration, 1903. Look for it!
For more information, see our heritage page.
Pl. d’Aubechies – 7972 Beloeil
MAISON DU TOURISME DE LA WALLONIE PICARDE
Quai Saint-Brice, 35 – 7500 Tournai
+32(0)69/78 98 16
OFFICE DU TOURISME DE BELOEIL
Rue de la Hunelle, 12 – 7970 Beloeil
+32(0)69/68 95 16
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information