Old Castle of Lompret
A former feudal castle of which only a few traces remain today: the dwelling and the ruins of the old barn.
In the deep meander of the Eau Blanche, the remains of the old castle of Lompret form the historic core along the water.
This castle from the feudal period has undergone numerous destructions and reconstructions.
Owned by the Bouzantons in the 14th and 15th centuries, and by the Landas family in the 16th and 17th centuries, it passed into the hands of a forge master in 1655 and remained in the family until the French Revolution.
Spread out on either side of the street that originally formed the former courtyard of the castle, only certain sections of the castle itself are still visible today: on one side, the former dwellings, restored and transformed into hotels and private homes; on the other side, the ruins of an old barn flanked by the remains of a 15th century turret.
Finally, the 19th century church, built on the site of the former castle chapel.
For more information, see our heritage page.
ANCIEN CHÂTEAU DE LOMPRET
Courtil au martias – 6463 Lompret
MAISON DU TOURISME PAYS DES LACS
Route de la Plate Taille, 99 – 6440 Boussu-lez-Walcourt
+32(0)71/14 34 83
SYNDICAT D’INITIATIVE DE CHIMAY
Rue de Noailles, 6 – 6460 Chimay
+32(0)60/21 18 46
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information