Old mills of Crupet
The banks of the streams in Crupet bear witness to the presence of numerous mills in the past.
Many mills, oil mills, paper mills, foundries and breweries once stood along the streams of Crupet.
Of the “Avillon-Moulin” mill itself, only a few traces remain today. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1885 and has since been replaced by a small limestone barn. A water feature on the street side is nevertheless a reminder of the millstream of one of the oldest mills in the village, as attested by its first mention in 1495.
Downstream from the Crupet stream, the old “Delvosal” mill stands at the foot of the valley slope. This limestone building forms an L-shaped plan, with the dwelling dating from 1770, the western wing of which housed a paper mill. The two-storey rear façade with its large windows indicates the location of the mill machinery. The top floor, ventilated by a succession of large windows, formed a large drying area for the paper reams. In the 19th century, the building was converted into a flour mill and agricultural outbuildings. Nowadays, it houses a hotel.
For more information, see our heritage sheet.
The association Les Plus Beaux Villages de Wallonie (The Most Beautiful Villages of Wallonia) oversees a network of 32 villages, bearers of a strong territorial identity and reflecting traditional architecture. It is committed to promoting the rural, cultural and natural heritage of Wallonia and is a part of the development of local and responsible tourism.More information